Sunday, January 30, 2011

Gandhi....Civil disobedience...Non Violence....

Today, peace lovers remember and pay homage to Gandhi on his death anniversary. I first read Gandhi's autobiography when I was twelve years old. The book fascinated me mostly about his life in South Africa, London, India and the struggles. I could not understand very well about the self experiment he was doing in his journey towards truth. I was even upset that he did not take care of his children. As a kid at that time I thought that was unfair.
Later, I also read Thoreau's Essays on Civil Obedience and Tolstoy's War and Peace to understand or tried to know how these two great people have influenced Gandhi. Then, my journey with the books and World continued in many directions. Particularly Gandhi or his writings did not play any major role partly because I have not given attention to explore his writings or write-ups about him. However, I always adored his tenacity to stand by the truth.

In 2007 when I visited Johannesburg, I went to the Tolstoy farm where he began his early years of experimenting with natural remedies.  I bought some books. The more I studied about him even the controversial one where some one questioning his altruism or he acted to be leading a simple life I started seeing him as a soul who could reach out to millions of poor people in India with his non-violent teachings.

He promised nothing but difficult life and imprisonment. How did he get that charisma? It is not easy to lead a peaceful struggle in a nation of diversity. He did it with his utter belief in truth and love for the people.

Unfortunately, we are witnessing the wraths of violence in one form of other all over the world. May be an autocratic regime, ethnic cleansing, tribal and Eco exploitation, wars, terrorism against civilians, to name a few. When the World is becoming a global village, promoting peace and harmony through non violence is possible only in a collective way. All the countries must sign up for a non-violent movement. Ultimately only non-violent means will push the humanity towards peace and democracy. May be an Utopian dream! But, dreams are possible... Right!



 
All content copyright © by Sobana Iyengar.

5 comments:

  1. Ashok JhunjhunwalaJanuary 31, 2011 5:17 AM

    Telecom and Internet has added power to people who carry out satyagraha.

    ashok

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashok, you are absolutely right. Tunisia is a classic example when internet and mobile played a major role in communicating to the World.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that
    Sucheta

    Professor Sucheta Mahajan
    Centre for Historical Studies
    School of Social Sciences
    Jawaharlal Nehru University

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sobana,

    Thanks for the link to the blog. As always, I enjoyed your insights. Unfortunately, Egypt's protest is not remaining non-violent, the violence probably sparked by the Mubarak administration.

    And a Happy Belated Birthday!

    Yours,

    Bea

    ReplyDelete