Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Heidelberg....Philosophers....Walk...


During the spring of 2009 I had a business trip to Waldorf Germany. During my previous trips I have covered Munich, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Berlin and Kolhn.  I did the Rhine valley tour and had a glimpse of the black forest.  With this assignment I had 3 weekends to visit the cities around Mannheim where I stayed.  As always Hertz gave me a nice Benz with GPS and it was a breeze to drive on the auto bahn.  The right hand drive is just like the US and I really enjoyed my commute from Mannheim to Waldorf every day.

Heidelberg is a city famous for its castle, university and the philosophers walk! The old universities all over the World fascinate me partly becasue of my late realization that I should have completed the thesis towards a Ph.D. A research dropout! cannot stick to one subject... thus ending up in the right field IT!  I always wanted to hike the Philosophers Walk or Philosophenweg. So on a fine Saturday  I managed to hike the Philospher's walk. The morning was lovely and the university students were kayaking in the river Necker.  The fresh smell of pastries and breads filled the air. I crossed the bridge to enter the city center.  The city has nice cobbled stone streets and narrow clean alleys.  A nice cup of coffee and a pastry had magic. I forgot the academics, philosophy, work, achievements and non-achievements, happy and sad moments of life.
The  river, the flowers, the sky, the castle, people around me everything looked very familiar as though I lived there all my life. The connection with nature and humanity and the awareness of it energized me more. The church bells started ringing and I walked or rather hopped happily towards the castle.







All content copyright © by Sobana Iyengar.

5 comments:

  1. lovely pictures and texts-- really excited by the idea that will be seeing you soon
    lol
    kumkum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kum. looking forward to seeing Mashima and you all. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed the opportunity to meet and speak with your mother ever so briefly several years back... what a wonderful person who nurtured you and your family! I value your friendship and having been able to meet your mom. I hope you're doing well...

    Warm regards,
    Rory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Rory for the support and wonderful friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sobana,

    Best wishes on remembrance on this anniversary. I recenly was given some LPs, and a few are of Indian music. I'll have to copy these to CD for you.

    ReplyDelete