Sunday, August 01, 2010

Friends...Freunde...Amis...

When I grew up in India I never heard of any special friendship day.  There are always friends who became part of the family without having a need to reinforce or celebrate. My best friend Kumkum and I are daughters to both our families. Then there are neighborhood friends, school friends, and vacation friends. Some of my great friends are also from work, met in seminars, flights, and friendship that bloomed out of an interest in a common cause.

There are many friends who uplifted me when I was sad and lost hope. I thank them all for the kindness, support and smiles that made me stronger to move forward. Even books are my best friends and I have special bonding with authors whom I have never seen.

My romantic friends from college and later in life are also my best friends now. The romance had turned into transient when we realized that the best part of our friendship is the empathy, respect, and unconditinal love we have for each other.

I remember the first day in Kindergarten at age 3 when I first learnt that friendship is about comforting someone in distress and to understand the meaning of give and take. I think that was the first little step I made towards understanding what is the meaning of friendship.
                                              Happy Friendship Day !  









All content copyright © by Sobana Iyengar.

7 comments:

  1. Ashok JhunjhunwalaAugust 01, 2010 9:39 PM

    Thanks.

    ashok

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the greeting. Happy Friendship Day to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you and wishing you the same too.

    Meera

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sobana. Happy Friendship day, though a trifle belatedly!
    Visha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dillip PattanaikAugust 03, 2010 8:37 AM

    Dear Sobhanajee,

    It was indeed a great pleasure reading you back after a long days. Hope everything is fine with you and all is well.

    I am glad to inform you that I managed to find a team of women engineers and scientists at Delhi and founded an association and it will be supported by INWES (International Network for Women Engineers and Scientists, Canada. I have been trying for the same since last 3-4 years and finally managed to establish it.

    Looking forward to your cooperation always.

    Dillip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dillip, way to go. My cooperation is always there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the comments and the e-mails.

    ReplyDelete